France, Germany and Italy, the three biggest contributors to the European Space Agency, said Tuesday (22 November) they have agreed to guarantee the future of the next-generation Ariane 6 and Vega-C rocket launcher systems.
The countries also reaffirmed a preference for European rockets, after the agency was forced to turn to US firm SpaceX to launch two future scientific missions.
The ministers in charge of space for the ESA’s 22 member states are meeting in Paris on Tuesday and Wednesday to determine the agency’s funding for the next three years, with a €3.2 billion plan for European space launchers high on the agenda.
“The public funding necessary to equilibrate the Ariane 6 and Vega-C institutional and commercial exploitation will be reviewed in order to take into account the evolution of market prices, institutional prices, economic conditions,” said a joint ministerial statement from France’s Bruno Le Maire, Germany’s Robert Habeck and Italy’s Adolfo Urso.
The ESA has had to scramble to find a way to get its missions into space after Russia withdrew its Soyuz rockets in response to European sanctions over Moscow’s war in Ukraine earlier this year.
The agency has also been affected by delays to Ariane 6, which is planned to replace the successful Ariane 5.
…. to be continued
>>> Lire la suite de l’article>>>
Copyright for syndicated content belongs to the linked Source : Google News (France) – https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMibmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmV1cmFjdGl2LmNvbS9zZWN0aW9uL291dGVyLXNwYWNlL25ld3MvZnJhbmNlLWdlcm1hbnktaXRhbHktYWdyZWUtb24tbmV4dC1nZW5lcmF0aW9uLXNwYWNlLXJvY2tldHMv0gEA?oc=5